Natural skin care tips
You have a unique skin type! This is why your skin care routine should be customised to the needs of your skin. Let’s determine your skin type and find out how you can best treat your skin on a daily basis. Five daily skin routine tips that apply for every skin type will make your skin healthy and glowing.
Everybody’s skin is unique. Maybe your skin feels rough or oily. Maybe you suffer from blemishes or redness. Or maybe you don’t have any imperfections at all. Whether you have a normal, dry or oily skin, your daily skin treatment should be customised to the needs of your skin type. To know what is the best skin care for you, let’s determine your skin type.
If you are one of the lucky persons with a normal skin type your skin is neither too dry nor oily and you have little or no imperfections. Your pores are hardly visible but they are not enlarged. Perhaps you experience a minimum of dryness or oiliness in some areas but overall your skin looks healthy and glowing.
A dry skin appears matt and has fine pores. Lack of sebum will make your skin less elastic, showing more visible lines. A very dry skin can crack, due to dead skin built up. This happens when the skin regeneration slows down. Your skin will feel rough, especially on your hands, arms and legs. Eventually, your skin can become itchy, irritated or inflamed.
If you have the right amount of sebum, it will protect your skin. When the sebaceous glands produce too much of this oily substance, your skin will get greasy and shiny, making it more susceptible for acne. Probably your T-section is oily, on the forehead, nose and chin. Your pores are enlarged.
Most people have a combination of skin types. Your skin can be normal in some areas, and dry or oily in others. If you experience redness or itchiness, your skin can be sensitive.
Daily skin routine
Five tips that apply for every skin type
1. Use gentle skin products! Go for unscented products without soap or alcohol. These substances will dry out the skin and damage your skin bacteria in the natural protective layer. Choose pH-neutral products.
2. Also, hot water removes the natural protective oils from the skin. So make sure to shower or bathe with warm water.
3. Use daily moisturiser. It will hydrate your skin adequately and make it more soft and elastic. Your skin will maintain a healthy glow and it will benefit from anti-aging.
4. Practice year-round sun protection. A moisturiser that contains sunscreen or a broad-spectrum sunscreen will keep the skin protected from free radicals and harmful UV radiation.
5. Exfoliate mildly. Exfoliating, facemasks and peelings remove dead skin cells. Exfoliating once a week is sufficient in order to keep the natural protective layer intact. This crucial barrier stops harmful bacteria and protects our skin.
For normal skin
A normal skin needs basic skin care. Our daily skin routine tips will help you maintain overall health and appearance of the skin.
For dry skin
For dry skin, daily hydration is of utmost importance. People with dry skin can benefit from applying moisturiser several times a day. Moisturiser preserves and sustains the natural skin substances such as water and sebum. When your skin is adequately hydrated, it will give you a healthy complexion.
For oily skin
Even oily skin may require a lightweight moisturizer. Make sure the product doesn’t block pores, as your skin is already susceptible for acne and you don’t want to cause breakouts. Avoid exfoliation during acne breakouts as it can make acne worse.
For combination skin
Also combination skin needs hydration but dry parts and oily parts need to be hydrated to a different extent. If you have sensitive skin, be careful with (harsh) soaps. It should be enough to wash the skin with water. Exfoliation is not necessary as it can even make your skin even more sensitive.
Do you want to know more about optimal skin care?
Read our scientific article about gentle body washes that are friendly to the skin and the bacterial flora.